Founded more than 120 years ago SPbPU is one of the major schools of higher technical education in Russia. Today, the University has more than 33,000 students studying under various educational programs; of those, 8,500 are international students from 107 countries.
Peter the Great St. Petersburg Polytechnic University is among the top-position holders in the World Rankings:
- 11th among the top 100 universities of Russia
- Top-3 in Russia by number of international students (120 in QS Ranking)
- 39 THE Best universities in Europe
- 5 stars in QS Online Learning
Located in one of the most beautiful cities in the world, our University provides its students with vast opportunities to study not only disciplines of their professional choice, but also learn a lot about the history and culture of Russia.
University offers broad variety of programs in engineering, natural sciences, IT, physics, business, economics taught in Russian and English:
- 50+ fields of Bachelor & Master Degree programs
- 25+ International Master Degree programs in English
- University Foundation programs for B.Sc. and M.Sc. studies
- PhD and D.Sc. programs in 90 research areas
- Over 100 international educational programs; a number of them are accredited by EQAR
- Unique International Polytechnic Summer School – the largest in Russia; 1000 participants from 65 countries annually
- Russian studies & Russian language programs
- Exchange programs
SPbPU includes 12 institutes, 33 graduate schools, a major research and development complex with scientific laboratories, R&E centers and Technopark.
SPbPU Foundation Programs are certified by the Ministry of Science and Higher Education of the Russian Federation.
- 3 study areas: Engineering, Economics, Humanities – depending on students’ future specialization
- The opportunity to master Russian, systematize and bridge the gaps in one’s knowledge of major subjects
- Application, online February 1 – October 1
The University is based on a compact park-like campus in the residential north-west district of St. Petersburg. Campus area is over 120 ha; it consists of more than 170 educational and research buildings, 18 dormitories, the sports center, the polyclinics. The ground public transport stops and four metro stations are within walking distance of anywhere on campus.
SPbPU invites the Indian students to join and be benefitted from its diverse educational programs, highly professional faculty, and get to enjoy living in our great city with its unique cultural opportunities.
The University Institutes are:
- Institute of Humanities
- Institute of Civil Engineering
- Institute of Biomedical Systems and Biotechnology
- Institute for Cyber Security and Information Protection
- Institute of Computer Science and Technology
- Institute of Machinery, Materials, and Transport
- Institute of Advanced Manufacturing Technologies
- Institute of Physical Education, Sport and Tourism
- Institute of Electronics and Telecommunications
- Institute of Energy
- Institute of Physics and Mechanics
- Institute of Industrial Management, Economics and Trade
Study and Research Areas:
- Civil Engineering, Energy Efficiency
- Power Engineering
- Mathematical Modeling
- Intelligent Systems and IT
- Computer Engineering and Digital Manufacturing
- Micro- and Nanoelectronics, Telecommunications
- Technosphere Safety
- Materials Science and Metallurgy
- New Materials and Additive Technologies
- Astrophysics, Plasma Physics
- Biomedical Technologies
- Life Science
- Economics, Business, Entrepreneurship
All international SPbPU students live in the international part of the campus. The dormitories are located near the educational buildings and the sports center. Video surveillance systems in the buildings and electronic access cards ensure the security of all students. Full-time students are accommodated in the block-type dormitory with 2-3-person rooms. Each block has two living rooms and an ensuite bathroom. Each dormitory comprises modern kitchens, laundry rooms, study rooms, and a leisure area.
Academic, research and entertainment events, amateur contests, and professional sports competitions, volunteer and creative projects such as: Russian Language Day, Alexander Pushkin Day, Let’s Get Acquainted, Happy New Year, language clubs.
Annual joint events with foreign partners (e.g., Student Project Marathon: work on real projects in various areas (from IT to materials science) under the supervision of experienced advisors)
- 30+ student clubs and societies
- Concert Hall
- 70+ sports clubs
- The modern sports center including a swimming pool, a stadium with two football fields and an ice hockey rink, tennis courts, basketball and volleyball halls, halls for wrestling and boxing, a weightlifting gym, a climbing wall, fitness facilities, a skiing center
- 3 SPbPU country camps
- The Southern Camp—University recreational complex on the Black Sea coast
City at a Glance
Every year thousands of international students from all over the world come to study in the city on the Neva River. Here are some of the facts about the historic St Petersburg City of Russia
- Russia’s second largest city and the northernmost city among the world’s largest cities
- The cultural capital of Russia—the entire historic center of the city is included in the UNESCO World Heritage List, like in Rome, Paris, and Venice. It boasts around 8,000 places of interest
- The Venice of the North—the city is situated on 42 islands and has over 340 bridges
- The most fantastic natural phenomenon— White Nights!
- Cosmopolitanism and security
- One of the largest transportation hubs in Russia: Pulkovo international airport, five railway stations, a seaport
- Among the QS TOP 10 most affordable cities for students