Zaporozhye state medical university is a self – governing,modern,multiprofile higher educational institution of the IVth top level of accreditation. The university is a centre of training MD, Masters of Phramacy and bachelors for Ukraine and foreign countries. Its history goes back to the higher women courses organized in Odessa 1903. In 1921 the courses were reorganized into checmical – pharmaceutical institute. In 1959 it was transferred from Odessa to Zaporozhye.
In 1994 it got the status of ZAPOROZHYE STATE MEDICLA UNIVERSITY, the main objective of which is training of highly qualified practitioners and establishing mutually beneficial relations with the research institutes of Ukraine and foreign countries. It is one of the oldest medical higher educational institutions the system of medical education of Ukraine.It has gained authority and recognition by training foreign citizens from Asia, Africa, Latin America, Europe, USA and Canada for more than 40years. More than 3500 specialists have got medical and pharmaceutical education and are working now in more than 100 countries of the world, taking up high positions in the public health systems of their countries.
At present more than 6000 students are being trained at the university. There are 1250 foreign students among them.
• The total area of the university is 16.5 hectares
• The area of lecture halls is 83878 sq. m
• The minimum area of auditoriums per student is 21.8sq.m
• The total area of the library is 2405 sq.m
• The number of books in the library ( including electronic copies) is more than 1 million copies.
Zaporozhye State Medical University takes one the first places in the system of higher medical education of Ukraine with the number of foreign students being trained there. Training of foreign citizens has been carried out at ZSMU since 1973. More than 50000 foreign citizens from 101 countries in Europe, Asia, Africa and America have been involved in different forms of study. Over 10500 foreign students completed training in different specialties and got diplomas. Thirty-six foreign graduates undertook post-graduate courses and successfully defended theses. Since 2002 foreign students have been taught in English.
The system of training at Zaporozhye State Medical University includes premedical, undergraduate and postgraduate periods of study. The premedical education is provided at the International Faculty No.1 and then foreign students continue studies at the International Faculty No.2.
The training of foreign students and their specializations is carried out in the following specialties:
• General Medicine. MD. Period of study is 6 years.
• Pediatrics. MD. Period of study is 6 years.
• Dentistry. MD. Period of study is 5 years.
• Pharmacy. Master of Pharmacy. Period of study is 5 years.
• Technology of Perfume-Cosmetic Preparations. Master of Pharmacy. Period of study is 5 years.
Junior students are trained at the theoretical departments in the academic buildings situated on the territory of the campus. Senior students are trained at the clinical departments in clinics situated near the University.
Zaporozhye State Medical University is one of the few medical universities in the system of higher medical education in Ukraine that has its own training-scientific centre "University Clinic" in which practical classes are conducted and medical aid is delivered. The University has the unique equipment:computer tomographs, devices for ultrasonic diagnosis, angiographic and endoscopic checkup, radioisotope diagnosis and many others to conduct fundamental and applied scientific investigations.
Post-diploma education includes training in the internship, training for Master's degree, clinical studies, postgraduate courses in 29 medical specialties and refresher courses for doctors and pharmacists
ENROLLMENTS OF FOREIGN STUDENTS
A foreigner or a group of foreigners are admitted to the University if they have a special invitation given by the University authorities through the foreign agents or a firm. The following documents are required for the admission to the University.
• The invitation of the University.
• Diploma (certificate) of graduating from the Preparatory faculty or from a higher educational institution.
• Original or legalized copy of documents about education (secondary, higher) certified by the notary with indications of subjects and examination grades on chemistry, physics, biology with notarized translation into Ukraineian or Russian.
• Birth certificate (legalized copy with notarized translation into Ukraineian or Russian)
• Legalized medical certificate of absence of medical contraindication for living in Ukraineand studying at the Medical University. It must be given to a student by the official medical institution in his native country no later than two months before the enrolment for studies
• Medical certificate of absence of HIV-infection. In case of the certificate absence a foreigner must be examined for HIV-infection at his own expense in time