The Medical Council of India (MCI) was established in 1934. Its main aim is to maintain a uniform standard of higher qualification in Medicine. It is also established to recognize the medical qualification in India and Abroad. It provides the permanent registration and provisional registration of Doctors in India with the recognized Medical qualification certificates.
MCI creates a mutual recognition of medical qualifications in India and Abroad. Hence, there are many Government Medical Universities abroad that is recognized by MCI.
Most of the medical aspired students tend to move abroad for higher education due to a lack of affordable medical seats in India. MCI helps the students to possess the required certificates to be a qualified doctor.
It is always advised that the students should confirm the status of any university before taking admission abroad. Through the Indian Embassy or from the Medical Council of India, the Recognition of a particular university for Medical qualification can be confirmed. Based on the given information received from the Indian Embassy or the MCI, the students can apply for the Medical seats abroad.
The Indian students who are seeking admission for MBBS from Abroad or any relevant courses, they are required to obtain the No Objection Certificate from MCI. All the required Certificates and marksheets must be Apostilled by the department of Ministry of External Affairs.
Students to be able to appear for the Foreign Medical Graduate Examination (FMGE) after their graduation, must obtain the Eligibility Certificate from the MCI before taking admission for MBBS from Abroad.
For the application of the MCI Certificate, the candidates should obtain the required eligibility criteria. They should have the minimum 50% marks for general and 40% marks for the students belonging to the reserved category in 12th Science standard (in Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and English).
In order to get the Eligibility Certificate from MCI, Students should follow the prescribed format provided by the MCI.
Documents Checklist for Eligibility Certificate
Copies of all the required documents should be arranged according to the checklist given below:
- A Bank draft for Rs. 2000/- in favor of "The Secretary, Medical Council of India, New Delhi".
- Candidates should mention their name, Father's Name, Phone Number, and Purpose of application at the reverse side of the Demand Draft.
- Original Application form.
- Original and three self-attested copies of Passport (if admission is already taken, a copy of complete visa mentioned on Passport should also be provided).
- Identity Proof (whether National citizen or the Overseas citizen of India).
- Original and three self-attested copies of all the 10th standard certificates along with the Marksheets and the Transfer Certificate.
- Original and three self-attested copies of 11th and 12th Certificates and Marksheets or equivalent examination along with a copy of Transfer/Migration certificate (in case of change of schools).
- Original and three self-attested copies of Pass Certificate of 12th examination (showing all the subjects and name of school).
- Original and three self-attested copies of School/College Leaving Certificate for Bihar Board and Tamil Nadu Board.
- Equivalency Certificate from the Association of Indian Universities (AIU), New Delhi for the 12th equivalent qualifications (if obtained from abroad with subject wise equivalency). If marks are given in grades, proof of their equivalent percentage of marks.
- Original and three self-attested copies of an English translation of OBC/SC/ST Certificate (if the certificates are in regional language).
- One additional color passport size photograph with the front view.
- Original and three attested copies of Admission letter issued by the concerned Foreign Medical University.
- Additional DD for the verification of 10+2 mark sheet/certificates as per list attached along with the application form.
MCI Eligibility Certificate Application Steps
To apply for the MCI eligibility certificate, the student must follow the below steps:
- Read the instructions carefully before applying
- Fill up the online application form and submit.
- Copies of all the required documents should be submitted to the MCI.
- The Application form should reach the MCI office within 6 months of the date of submission.
- For further communication, the candidate must have their own personal email ID.
- The candidate will receive the login ID and password to their email ID and mobile SMS to login to the MCI login website.
- The Eligibility Certificate can be downloaded through the MCI website.
MCI will not accept the application if the candidates don't provide the originals or provide incomplete documents. Hence, candidates are requested to provide all the required documents for the application to process smoothly. Once the final application form is submitted, the alteration will not be allowed. Therefore, it is important to check the application form before the final submission.
After the successful application, the Eligibility Certificate would be issued within 2 to 3 months.
Once the Eligibility Certificate is attained, the candidate can proceed with the application for MBBS from Abroad.